Free guided tours of the Botanical Garden are available every Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m. from May through October. Meet at the Carriage House Visitor Center.
The guided tours last approximately 45 minutes to an hour, and are conducted by NJBG tour guides, or docents. Tours vary by season to highlight specialty gardens at their peak.
Back to top
Manor House Tours
Guided tours of the ground floor of Skylands Manor are available on selected Sundays, when you can explore the Manor's history and architecture guided by knowledgeable NJBG docents. The tours last about 45 minutes to an hour.
All Manor House tour dates and times are subject to change; please check the Events calendar for dates and times.
General admission, $7
Seniors (62+), $5
Youth (13-18), $5
Children (6-12), $3
Children under 6, free.
Please see the Events page for dates of upcoming tours.
Back to top
NJBG offers guided Group Tours of the New Jersey State Botanical Garden and Skylands Manor, its lovely estate home.
Guided Group Tours are available by reservation only.
For more information, or to reserve a date, please contact:
NJBG Group Tour Coordinator Anne Thornton
Partially wheelchair accessible.
Garden Group Tour - $7 per person
Manor Group Tour - $7 per person
Both Group Tours - $12 per person
Children's Tour - $7 per adult, $3 per child
The Botanical Garden
Here you can wander amid the elegance of formal gardens, or along gentle paths winding through the woods. We'll structure a walk that's right for the season and right for your group.
- Annual Garden - Filled with colorful annuals and different every year! (July-October)
- Perennial Border - An ever-changing palatte of bloom (April-October)
- Crab Apple Allée - Bright pink ribbons across the Great Lawn (May)
- Hosta/Rhododendron Garden - Over 200 varieties of these landscape favorites. (May-June)
- Morraine Garden - Heather, sedums, gentians, dwarf conifers, and more in a rocky environment.
- Wildflower Garden - Native plants in both a woodland and bog setting (April-October)
- Lilac Garden - Hundreds of varieties fill the air with their lovely scent (late April-June)
- Peony Garden - Elegant and stately, flanking the whispering Memory Bench (May-June)
- Summer Garden - Bright daylilies and annuals in a charming pocket garden (May-October)
- Azalea Garden - Azaleas, rhododendrons and waterlilies in the reflecting pool (April-October)
- Magnolia Walk - A lovely stroll on shrub-lined paths (April-October)
- Octagonal Garden - A waist-high rock garden surrounding the Octagonal Pool (April-October)
- Winter Garden - The many colors of the evergreens are lovely in all seasons (year round)
Designed in the mid-1920's by the distinguished American architect John Russell Pope, whose works include the National Archives and the National Gallery of Art, this lovely Tudor Revival Mansion was intentionally made to appear centuries old.
The Manor's weathered stone facade, the sags and ripples in the slate roof, and the classic ironwork combine to transport you through the centuries. Inside, the ground floor includes exquisite antique panelling, fireplaces, and stained glass collected from estates and castles throughout Europe.
Enjoy a stroll through history at the New Jersey State Botanical Garden.
Especially for Kids
The New Jersey State Botanical Garden has tons of fun for young people, too, with tours designed especially for children ages 8-12.
Scavenger Hunt -- Our fanciful list includes architecture, flora and fauna. We'll walk you past every item on the list, but YOU have to find it!
Solar System Walk -- NJBG's scale-model solar system will give youngsters a better understanding of our solar neighborhood.
Call us today!
Our Group Tour Coordinator will be glad to arrange a visit to one of the most beautiful and historic sites in New Jersey's State Park System.
For more information, or to reserve a date, please call the NJBG office at 973-962-9534
Back to top